Monday, September 12, 2016

A Debt of Gratitude: Vin Ganapathy

A Debt of Gratitude:  Vin Ganapathy

My Ink and Watercolor Sketches of Vin Ganapathy and Friend

One of my favorite teachers at Sketchbook Skool is Vin Ganapathy.  Vin is a superb illustrator and artist, with a particular gift for doing portraits.  His work has appeared in publications as diverse as The Wall Street Journal, Chicago Magazine, GQ India, and the website Funny or Die.  Born in Gonikoppal, India, and raised in the suburbs of Connecticut, Vin is based in New York City.

My Ink Sketch of Vin Ganapathy and Friend

Three things grabbed me right away when I watched Vin's videos at Sketchbook Skool.  His portraits are full of life, his manner of teaching is accessible and earnest, and his main instruction is very straightforward:  "Draw everyday.  Draw from the second you wake up."  Draw during lunch breaks, he urges.  Draw crowds, draw at sporting events, draw at concerts, draw anywhere that people are gathered.  Finally, with conviction born of experience, he offers these simple words -- "You'll get better." 

Vin in Ink

Vin in Ink and Watercolor
I must have watched Vin's Sketchbook Skool videos dozens of times.  I suppose anyone could have said the same words to me, but when I hear them from Vin and see the beautiful portraits and awe-inspiring illustrations which are a result of his efforts, I believe.  I believe that with time, effort, and self-discipline, I can and will get better.  Thank you, Vin.

No comments:

Post a Comment