Monday, September 26, 2016

Desire and Frustration Running Neck and Neck

Friday morning:  I had only a small window of time.  I wanted to do art -- sketch and paint something in my sketchbook.  But I was at my office and my psychotherapy patients would  start showing up in half an hour. 

I couldn't do my usual preferred slow drawing.  What I really wanted to do was paint.  Since I sketch in ink first and then paint afterwards, if I'm short on time, painting often gets sacrificed.  And if I don't paint, part of me just feels sad.  Like I went to the party but didn't get to dance.

But Friday I did it.  I made a sketch, focusing on the little girl in the photo.  (See Sktchy app for photo references.)  I sketched fast.  By putting the little girl where I did on the page I ran out of room for her father, couldn't fit him in completely.  (Alas!)

My final version -- ink and watercolor, done in 30 minutes.

It was fun and exciting to race the clock, my desire and frustration driving me to the finish line.  I completed my painting and was ready for my first patient on time.  The paint was still drying when she arrived.  And I was happy.


2 comments:

  1. Wonderful, Jane - for me, I like it that the dad is partially out of the frame - brings attention to the girl and their connection...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Jake! And I see what you mean. I appreciate your artistic photographer's eye.

    ReplyDelete