Monday, January 16, 2017

Post-It Portraits

My Ink and Watercolor Pencil Drawing on 3-3/4" x 3" Post-it Note

I recently learned of an unusual and fun art project from an Instagram friend.  Ingrid Vermeer is an artist from the Netherlands who has created a project she calls "365 Days of Post It People."  She has a blog of the same name and you can probably guess what she does -- every day she draws or paints a person on a post-it note and uploads the image to her blog.  Her drawings are expressive and playful and provide a rich history of her artistic development throughout the year.

Seeing Ingrid's process -- and progress -- gave me the impetus to start creating post-it portraits.  I don't know if I'll make it to 365, but I'll see how far I can go.  You can see the results of my efforts thus far here.  (Click on any image to enlarge it.)



As with other artistic efforts, I'm learning some things the hard way -- such as post-it notes aren't receptive to watercolor paints.  When I attempted to use watercolors, the paper of the sticky note began to pill up and disintegrate, leaving an unattractive result.


I found that using watercolor pencils (without adding water) is a much better option than watercolor paints.


I've also found that even though the images are small, they aren't necessarily quick to do. The final one on the bottom right took me about an hour to draw.  

No comments:

Post a Comment