Wednesday, August 17, 2016

My Frequent Dilemma

My Frequent Dilemma




When I do a sketch that I'm pretty happy with, I'm often torn about whether to add watercolor to it or not.  To leave it unpainted can leave it feeling bare.  But if I decide to add watercolors, there's the possibility I'll mess up the painting and wish I'd left it alone!




For the painting of Merle Haggard above, I'm glad I added watercolor.  For the one below, I'm still deciding.  
...I just learned this one was selected as a Sktchy "Pick".  I'm honored and excited, and now think I will leave it as is.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting dilemma:) As I look at them I really like the black and white sketches. On the other hand, I think if it was of something inanimate that I would like the addition of color. Maybe black and white sketches "fit" humans because it is an artistic shorthand attempt to capture their essence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathy, and I appreciate your thoughts. There's something about the shorthand of a black and white sketch that you mention that appeals in art. ...Thinking of John Lennon's self-portraits which capture his essence in very few lines.

      Delete