Monday, October 17, 2016

The Week in Sketches

My Ink and Watercolor Sketch for Inktober  (Prompt: "Afraid")

This week I did an ink and watercolor sketch every day for the Inktober challenge.  Each day has its own universal prompt or theme, as designated by the Inktober founder, Jake Parker.  The painting above is one of my favorite sketches.   I like it because the idea seemed to come to me from out of the blue, and if I imagine myself alone in a movie theater watching "Cape Fear," I'm sure I'd feel afraid.  There's not enough popcorn in the world to keep that fear at bay!  I like the effect of using color for part of the sketch and leaving some of it without color.  I believe that creates more of a sense of aloneness and terror in the painting.  

Also for Inktober (Prompt: "Worried")

  "Hungry Mean-Ass Tree" ( Inktober Prompt: "Tree")

Ink and Watercolor Portrait

I did the portrait above from a Sktchy reference photo, unrelated the Inktober challenge.  In the original photo, this man looked so cheerful and friendly it made me want to sketch him.

Cactus Wren
For the above watercolor painting I wanted to try something new to me (and harder!) -- to just use my paintbrush (waterbrush) dipped in paint with no pencil or pen first.  It forces me to be looser in my painting.  I like the effect and want to try more of it.  This painting, like all the others shown here is 6"x6".

And finally, two more Inktober sketches:

Inktober Sketch (Prompt: "Relax")






Inktober Sketch (Prompt: "Wet")




No comments:

Post a Comment